How to tell your boss you're pregnant
It’s one of the most exciting times in your life but announcing you’re pregnant to your boss can be very unnerving. Here are some tips on how best to do it.
- Firstly contact your HR representative to find out what formal policies the company has to do with pregnancy and maternity leave. They should be able to offer you some advice on what steps to take.
- Don’t casually drop it into conversation. Schedule a meeting with your boss its a much more professional approach.
- Depending on your job it may be better to tell your boss sooner rather than later. Some work environments can be dangerous if you’re pregnant or be too physically demanding.
- Honesty is the best policy. Remember you’re not the first woman to get pregnant and you sure won't be the last. Keep your boss in the loop telling them your plans, like the due date and roughly how long you plan to be taking off for maternity leave.
- Help plan for your absence. Your boss will appreciate you taking action to help minimise the impact of your absence. Offer to help train someone new or make a plan to find temporary cover.
- Don’t apologise that you're pregnant you have every right to be. If your boss is professional they will accept it and begin sorting a plan while you're off. Your position at work will be safe until you decide to return.
Also in The Memo Blog
We’re head over heels for the beautiful hats and headpieces at
Camilla Rose Millinery which are the perfect accessories for every summer event from weddings in the sun to race days at Ascot.
Our founder and CEO Libby Hart has styled some of her favourite event
worthy pieces from the summer collection to give you some outfit
inspiration to make all the best dressed list this summer.